A big band name from a small Michigan town, Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) may have started out as a solo project of Keith Latinen, but over the last decade have grown into one of the most impressive ensembles in the independent music scene.
We’re excited to be able to feature the extensive release catalogue of Empire! Empire! with two purchase options: A Digital option that includes all of the band’s releases on Count Your Lucky Stars and a Vinyl + Digital option with all of the digital albums plus 6 Vinyl releases including the When the Sea Became a Giant 10” and 5 of the acclaimed split 7” records.
DRM-free MP3 & FLAC formats
Purchase the Selected Vinyl option & get the digital download plus 6 selected releases on vinyl, shipped to you!
"Take it however you like, as a progression on the Midwestern-emo sound, simply as a lovable record with beautiful harmonies and movements, or even as a display of great emo vocals and lyrics. But no matter how you take it, What It Takes To Move Forward is a superb record that adds a new leg of interesting material to the race that Sunny Day Real Estate began.”
– Sputnik Music
- 1. How to Make Love Stay
- 2. Keep What You Have Built Up Here
- 3. What Safe Means
- 4. It Happened Because You Left
- 5. Rally the Troops! Poke Holes In Their Defenses! Line Our Coffers With Their Coffins!
- 6. It’s a Plague, and You’re Invited
- 7. Everything Is Connected and Everything Matters (A Temporary Solution to a Permanent Problem)
- 8. The Next Step to Regaining Control
- 9. With Your Greatest Fears Realized, You Will Not Be Comforted
- 10. I Am a Snail, and You Are a Pace I Cannot Match
- 11. An Idea Is a Greater Monument Than a Cathedral
"There’s still a movement keeping alive the lovelorn, the delicate, and the pioneers. Empire! Empire! have the influential reserves and knowledge of keeping alive what our scene has seemingly forgotten. Not only are they stand-ins for the long broken-up, but transcendent of the lo-fi and locally-bound ethics followed so many years ago. Earnest and concordantly so, When the Sea Became a Giant is an engrossing effort that powerfully plays with our nostalgia and unforced love of beauty.”
– Absolute Punk
- 1. Our Love Has Made Us Pariahs
- 2. You Have To Believe that Life Is More Than The Sum Of It's Parts, Kiddo
- 3. Lilly, I Have Something Important To Tell You
- 4. They Will Throw Us To The Wolves
- 5. K.O. K.O (The Most Of My Worries Are The Least Of Your Concerns).
- 6. Make Me Young, Make Me Young, Make Me Young, Make Me Young
"Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) might employ an over the top use of punctuation in their egregiously long band name, but once their beautiful instrumentation hits your ears, it might not matter. Their two-song 7", Year of the Rabbit surely isn't Fucked Up-style experimental hardcore, but rather a gentle, cascading example of atmospheric mid-`90s emo á la American Football and their followers, Look Mexico."
- 1. Year of the Rabbit
- 2. IDK, My BFF Jill
"Home After Three Months Away and its semi-accurate namesake is the type of work that makes you realize something you’ve always felt but never knew-- Empire! Empire! write some of the most entrancing, genuine, and expert lyrics as of late. Latinen’s distinct writing style makes no swift departure from the LP, as his story-like lyrics are still filled with dense symbolism and copious literary devices, dripping with nostalgia.”
– Absolute Punk
- 1. The Loneliness Inside Me Is A Place
- 2. Water
- 3. Everything Rests On Your Small Shoulders
- 4. I Swim Like A Minnow
Get the Empire! Empire! songs contributed and complied from 7 different split releases including the Football, etc Split, the Into It. Over It. Split, the Arrows Split, the Rika Split, the Malegoat Split, the 4-way Split with Mountains for Clouds, Two Knights, and Driving on City Sidewalks, and the 4-way Split with Annabel, Joie De Vivre and The Reptillian.
- 1. Turbo Stasis (from split with Arrows)
- 2. We Did Not Need to Open It to Know It Was There (from split with Arrows)
- 3. The Horror of Riovanes (from the split with Annabel/Joie De Vivre/The Reptilian)
- 4. Documenting Thirty Days (from the split with Football, etc.)
- 5. We Were Not Small or Great but Grown (from the split with Rika)
- 6. It’s a fate we can’t escape. Someday we will all pass away. (from the split with Rika)
- 7. If We Found You Any Later, You Would Have Drowned (from the split with Into It. Over It.
- 8. When We Did Not Move or Speak, There Was No Proof That We Were There at All (from the split with Malegoat)
- 9. You Promised You’d Stay Here With Me (from the split with Malegoat)
- 10. Everything Small is Just a Small Version of Something Big (from the split with Mountains for Clouds/Two Knights/Driving on City Sidewalks)
A special collection of singles and bonus tracks including the What It Takes To Move Forward Bonus Album and tracks from the Topshelf SXSW Promo 7”, the Fest 12 Split 10”, the Bramble Jam II Promo 7” and more!
- 1. Actually, I'm Just Wearing Your Glasses
- 2. It Was Your Heart That Saved You
- 3. So How Many Points Do You Have 'Till You Gain, You Know, the Ultimate Power?
- 4. Archival Footage
- 5. The Wholesome Sea is at Her Gates... Her Gates Both East and West
- 6. What Had Taken Years to Put Together Was Destroyed in One Moment
- 7. The Hour of Pearl
- 8. You Weren't Ready Yet. Your Ears Could Hear, But Not Your Heart